Here's my daughter, Mazzy, with a ladybug back in 2009 at 2.5 years old...
My son, Max (also 2.5 years old) had quite a different experience with the red spotted lady recently. It might have been due to the fact that Mazzy was solely focusing on one dainty little bug, while my son was exposed to, shall we say, 822!!!
A little less than a week ago, I picked up a few little lady bugs to help rid our garden of the 8 million aphids that found shelter in our rose bushes. I came home happily carrying the bag of ladybugs thinking to myself what a fun little activity for the kids to help with - scattering the harmless, pleasant, dare I say DARN CUTE insects.
Well, it started off fine. Josh went from rose to rose, merrily sprinkling away. The kids just recently were gifted bug collector sets from Grandma Kris and Mazzy thought it would be fun to try and wrangle a few ladybugs into her bug collector chamber.
The evening involved a series of cuddling sessions and reassuring chats about the ladybugs going to sleep OUTSIDE FAR FAR AWAY. He went to bed much later than usual. I had to go into his room, repeatedly, to comfort and soothe his anxiety. Gah! Both my husband and I were worried. My husband thinks I worry too much about everything, so the fact that he was worried worried me to no end. And the downward spiral was in effect.
![]() |
| My Facebook status that evening. |
That night we waited for him to wake up screaming and terrified that the BUGS WERE ASCENDING!! To our surprise and relief he slept soundly through the night. That next morning, I wrote on Facebook:
(I'm more than happy to do that for you, Buddy Man. So sorry the ladybugs scared you.)


do lady bugs not have spots? great pics.
ReplyDeleteflojomo: Isn't that interesting! I thought the same thing while taking photos. It makes sense that in a bag of 1500 a few would go rogue. Thanks for your sweet comment! :)
ReplyDelete2.5 year old Mazzy is so adorable. I love her inquisitiveness, and how long she plays with that bug! Poor Max, although seems he's a brave little man and toughed it out in the end. it seems like he must have thought about it all night and given himself a little pep talk or something - great coping skills!
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine the pressure of trying not to terrorize my children daily.
Oh little Mazaroo! Love hearing her little 2.5 year old voice!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad Maxie has come away from this seemingly unscathed...and if anything...we need to blame that darn leaf for falling. :-)
Mel: Thinking about him giving himself a peptalk makes me smile...thanks for that!!
ReplyDeleteErin: You're so right! :)
Gosh, I love that video, so happy to revisit it. I think it just might be my all-time fave. LOVE Maz's little 2.5 year old voice and the way she scrunches up her nose when she looks at the ladybug up close and says, "It's red." So. Darn. CUTE! And the music? The editing? Perfection, Josh, PERFECTION.
ReplyDeleteI adore the first photo of the ladybug on the yellow rose. So lovely. And oh.my.goodness. that final photo with Max resting his chin in his hand? That is definitely in my top ten favorites of the little guy. So adorable. Just wanna hug him!
This post was so fun to read, Keri. Loved the little shots of humor, and the inclusion of FB posts (great idea! also, how??).
Love your blog, lady. Love you too.
Ali: I feel the same way about this video. I don't know if it's my all-time fav but its one of Josh's first videos he's made of the kids and it's dear to my heart....and the way Maz says ladbuuuuuug. Kills me.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the sweet comments about my kiddos! Max and the way he tends to hold his face in his hands. Kills me, too.
Your words mean alot, Ali, especially since I admire you and your blog so very much. Thanks for always supporting me even when I'm off my rocker. <3
Oh, the fb thing....I pushed prt. scr (screen save) when the computer screen showed my fb post. It saves it into Picasa, then I crop it to show only my fb status and then I retouched my my name.
ReplyDelete