Monday, March 22, 2010

Part 5

What is it about those tiny little feet running toward you? You know, the ones belonging to your brother or sister? Those tiny little feet that aren't quite yours, but in a way you want to feel you have full ownership.

I experienced the joys of motherhood before my twin sister. Well, sorta. She was blessed with Austin, who may not be her biological child, but has been a part of her family  for 11 or so years, and is a son to her. But....that feeling of having a newborn baby cradled in your arms, knowing that she is fully yours to hold, to comfort, to adore. Can anything in the world top that overwhelming feeling of unconditional love? Well, yes, I'm pretty sure, for some people, there is. But don't try and convince a smitten mother of that when she's holding her baby for the first time. What an incredible and frightenly scary little being, all wrapped up into one tight little burrito, or, nestled into you, skin-to-skin, making you feel like you were put on this earth for this sole reason of keeping her warm. I'm so glad my sister was able to experience that feeling.

When I see her daughter, now almost 16 months old, I become overwhelmed with feelings of love. She has completed Erin's family. She has completed our family.

Little Harlie, Auntie Keri loves you.


Photo by Erin Wilson

2 comments:

  1. You were right...it is the best! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. I hope I get to experience this very special sort of relationship someday. You two are very lucky indeed. <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...