Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Weekend "Fun"

Now, especially as a mother of two,  my days during the week are spent mostly inside our home: cleaning, preparing meals, picking up after meals, sorting laundry, folding laundry, wiping down the floors, sweeping the floors, washing crayon off the walls, picking up the 823746573673 toys that litter my floors. When the weekend comes the very last thing I want to do is clean the bathroom. Or the kitchen. Or my bedroom. I want to take all of us outside and never go back in. SO. This weekend we did just that and it was just what the doctor ordered. I was relaxed and at peace and the kids played right along side us asking to help on several occasions. After a family trip to the nursery we went to work:

Potting our baby blueberry bush.

Meet Rosemary and Sage. My sad little herb plants needed room to grow and mature into the men and women they've always dreamed of being! (My mom handed down these pots of hers to me...gotta love hand-me-downs, in all shapes and sizes).

I decided to go ahead and use the cocoa hulls that I used in our garden for our flower beds. It seems The Felines are less inclined to dig around in it. In the past, the flower beds have attracted every stray cat on the West Coast and it's about time they find a new beach to bum around on.

Also: My rose bushes have been ailing for a number of weeks with aphids galore and diseased leaves. I pruned and thinned them out quite a bit AND I bought chemicals to help. There, I said it.

Our Star Jasmine which is just starting to bloom.
My two baby seedling tomato plants now have their new and improved pots.

Speaking of tomato plants, DIE APHIDS, DIE!


I have to admit something: EVERY time I check on our zucchini, I feel embarrassed lifting up it's leaves.



My husband mowed and edged the lawn. I remember growing up and never even thinking about not having an edged lawn. These days, it would bug me until the end of time. Once the grass along the raised garden bed gets above an inch I start to twitch.

These trees here are actually a type of shrub. My mom raised them to be trees and I'm so thankful that she did because we have shade at all times of the day and it makes our hot Sacramento summers bearable. However, the things shed leaves at all different times of the year which drives my husband a little bat-blank-crazy. He raked and pruned the higher branches back so we can get some Frisbee throwin' in this weekend.

When we moved into our home 7, 8 (?) years ago, my mom left us her two wooden chairs. We had NO patio furniture having moved from a  < 500 sq. ft apartment. I was happy to take them off her hands and have grown to really love them...they match the weathered boards holding up our flower beds that line the back of our yard AND they belonged to my mom which is always something special to think about.

I love having little snugly children running around the backyard and I am not wishing away these years at all BUT when I can attempt to grow grass where the play structure now resides and can do away with those hideous foam mats I will feel more at peace with my soul.


The only thing left on this year's garden project list is to put our two citrus trees into the barrels we bought. Now, where to put them?


3 comments:

  1. There are so many wonderful things about your backyard, and this post details them exquisitely! Been one of my very favorite places to hang for many, many years (nearly two decades!), and hopefully many, many more.

    Also, how great is that cat in the last photo? You snapped that one at the perfect moment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden and backyard looks fantastic. I'm sure Mom is proud.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks great Keri! It's looking so mature and lush, and all of your plants are doing beautifully. I love your yard so much! It's looks as inviting as ever.

    You make me laugh about the zucchini. I thought so too before I read your caption.

    I still can't believe those bushes your mom trained to grow as trees. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...