Friday, September 16, 2011

Josh's Birthday Week: Part 2 (Birthday Date Night)


Initially, our plan was for me to accompany Josh on a round of nine holes of golf. He enjoys the sport(?) and although I've hit some balls (pretty unsuccessfully, I might add) with him, I've never seen him play. For his birthday I suggested that it was time I "support" his hobby...I would gladly sit in a golf cart with a plastic cup of wine and my camera and watch him swing away. Well, sorry to say that the two nine-hole courses Josh contacted did not issue carts past 4:30pm. Walking would have been fine for another time, but I was pretty excited to sit and enjoy the nice outdoors while my husband fretted over the next hole. Walking was not part of the scenario in my head. So? Golf out.

We simmered a bit and tried to think of alternative places to go and we settled on our stand-by: Lemon Grass. (It turns out we went there last year for his birthday, too.)

Showered (finally) and ready for a nice romantic dinner at Lemon Grass Restaurant (a favorite of ours!)

The place holds a lot of sentimental value for both of us, as we met working for cafes then owned by the same owner, plus the food is excellent. I brought my camera to take photos and accidentally left it in the car. By the time we were seated and had our cocktails ordered I was perfectly content not having to worry about getting food shots, and I felt funny because we sorta knew the management, and would I look funny taking food shots? Probably. As I confessed to my fellow photography lovin' friend, I don't usually feel uncomfortable in restaurants taking photos of the food that is placed in front of me, but maybe because usually they don't know me from Adam, and vice versa. So, in lieu of photos I must tell you what we enjoyed.


Selected menu items*...



Crispy rolls with a plate of delicious fresh herbs!
The chili-lime sauce was OUT OF THIS WORLD!
Per our server's suggestion we ordered a side of the spicy yellow curry sauce that was being served with one of the specials of the night. Superb!

*Source: http://www.starginger.com/files/Lemon-Grass-Restaurant-Dinner-Menu.pdf


And for dessert?

 Saigon by Night
Vanilla ice cream bathed in espresso goodness.
It was a lovely evening indeed. We topped off the evening at Ruth's Cris for a cocktail in their lovely bar (a ritual for us after enjoying a meal at the LG.)

Photo by JC.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's sweet that you have little traditions like this. Love that last photo of the bar.

    Sounds like a lovely and yummy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo of you two. So bright and good lookin'. The bar at Ruth's is gorgeous. I love me a well stocked lovely bar. I also love hearing about your and Josh's traditions. Looks like Josh had a great, long birthday week, you weren't kidding with your first post! We gotta learn to play golf so we can join in the fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, the sitting in the cart with a glass of wine seems less fun than playing? ;) Jokes. Yeah....when the kids are old enough to watch themselves I may take it up with him. As of now? I'm the babysitter.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...