Monday, June 6, 2011

Copy-Cat(ing) the Pie

So....I have this lovely hot mama veganish friend, Alison, who recently prepared the most scrumptious chocolate pie. It has a fancy name but what you really need to know is that it's chocolate AND it's pie. Now, DO NOT let the tofu scare you (see her pie post here). It is the most delectable pie I've ever had. So much so, I full on copied her and served it up to my family this past Memorial Day Weekend. Along with the original version (served with her mixed berry sauce) I made a second pie, adding about 2/3 cup of peanut butter to the pie mixture. I did this to appease my husband who needs a little help to appreciate "The Chocolate". It turned out the peanut butter was a hit! I also sprinkled chopped Reese's  Peanut Butter Cups (RPC) on top to give it some flare. As my sister was quick to point out, the addition of the RPC will make the pie UN-vegan ( and possibly the pie crust I used, see below.)

 

I used a store-bought Nilla Wafer pie crust ... my anxiety took over and I was worried I'd run out of time before my guests arrived. I had planned on using almonds, raisins, and maple syrup to construct the crust (as suggested in Alison's post)  but that will have to wait for another time.

6 comments:

  1. Ali is a saint for sharing her secret scrumptious pie recipe. So freakin' good. The PB was an great addition too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it supposed to be a secret?! Oh, now I feel bad for posting it all up on here! :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly goose, of course it's not a secret. I posted it on my own blog and then posted that post on FB! ;-)

    I'm just happy the pie was such a hit! :)

    Gotta try it with the PB...Maybe I can track down some vegan PB cups at Whole Foods...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay good, Erin used the word "secret" and it got me worried.

    I was so disappointed on Sunday....my first visit to Whole Foods in a long while and I came home with some sandwiches for Josh and I. It was clear after my first bite that one had them had gone bad. Couldn't even take another bite. I was bummed out after hearing so many good things about them (besides how painfully expensive and overwhelming it can be).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that is so frustrating! I'm sorry you had such a poor experience. :-( You could have taken the sandwich back, although that's totally not the sort of thing I'd ever do. Too much hassle, I'm too lazy. Mel totally would though, right? :)

    I've only purchased food from their deli/cafe once. The food was *alright*, nothing to write home about. I'm a fan of the place based solely on their outstanding product selection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I really must try this recipe some time soon. I totally want to have a vegan baking day.

    Yes, I totally would take back the sammie, and I did take back a salad to whole foods before. Actually, I just told them that it was bad and I gave them my receipt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...