We are living and breathing zucchini over here. The garden is coming to life and recently we've been able to enjoy something OTHER than the "green stuff" and the
little hoarder in my brain that tells me I must not waste any of it has gone on overdrive, SO that means zucchini muffins were in order: compromising my WAISTline in order not to be WASTEful.
(Don't worry, I'm here all week!)
I found a recipe online from Simply Recipes. Appropriately titled, these
Zucchini Muffins were scrumptious and used 3 cups of shredded zucchini (I dumped in a little more for good measure.)
![]() |
| See all that shredded green goodness....just screaming HEALTH! (Nevermind the 1 1/3 cup sugar) |
![]() |
| The recipe calls for dried cranberries and walnuts. (I like myself a muffin packed full of goodies.) |
![]() |
| Begging to be gobbled up by my little crazy muffin monster, Mazzylicious. (Maxton could care less about these, frankly I think the dried cranberries scared him as well as the "green stuff".) |
![]() |
| Perfect snack to be eaten OUTSIDE, on a pool break with the kiddos. (The one thing I love about summer is that most of the kids' meals can take place in the open air. Dining alfresco suits my needs and the needs of the usually always littered kitchen floor.) |
Speaking of which, here are my kids after both eating an ice cream sandwich OUTSIDE:
![]() |
| How does that happen? They each manage to slop some ice cream on their face as if they're penciling in a mole. Weird kids, indeed. |
![]() |
| So, zucchini anyone? Please. Pretty please? I'm BEGGING you. |
A not-to-be-named-energy-providing-company came out to install our new meter and totally wigged out our oven in the process, the clock flickers and the timer is not "timing" as it should. I made these muffins originally when we attended a brunch with some friends and the muffins were good but darker than I would have liked, so I just had to try the recipe again using the microwaves trusty timer. I popped these babies in the freezer this time and they make for a perfect snack for when I'm feeling lazy.
***
Mini Garden Update:
![]() |
| I let Mazzy take a stab at uprooting our leeks. |
![]() |
| She thought I'd have better luck. |
![]() |
| I have to say my daughter is quite the little photographer, always stealing the camera out of my hands...which makes me smile and sweat at the same time. Anyway, here is me posing for Mazzy with our leeks. |
![]() |
| Latest harvest: Zucchini (of course!), Sun Gold tomatoes, lemon cucumber, and our leeks. I have yet to decide what to prepare with these summer leeks... |
Can you freeze shredded zucchini?
ReplyDeleteI made breakfast tacos for dinner last night with the last zucchini you gave me. I'll take more on Sunday if you have some!
Did you pull the leeks because you needed the room? :-)
Mmmm...those muffins look freakin' GOOD! I like my muffins full of goodies as well. Although, baked goods filled with nuts 'n' stuff tend to scare Evan off. Your kids are cool with it?
ReplyDeleteWhy do I not recognize that patio set? Is it new?
The zucchini inundation has begun at the Silack house now too...
Oh, you probably could, huh, E?! I pulled the leeks because they were done-o!
ReplyDeleteAli, Mazzy loves em'...Max not so much! We picked up the kids table and chairs at Lowe's last week. Our zucchini has miraculously slowed but a new surge is just abloomin'!